Listen to Lisa on her ' Spritual and Irritable' radio show!

Listen to internet radio with The Difference on Blog Talk Radio

Thursday, December 1, 2011

The Humblebrag v's the Bragger

I had to write an article this week for a Sunday tabloid on the topic of The Humblebrag.



Do be honest, I didn’t have a scooby doo (clue) what it was so had to do quite a bit of research before starting my article.


According to the Independent Newspaper (UK) being a humblebrag is basically the art of boasting about one’s achievements through social media outlets but making sure you appear humble at the same time.

For example,


‘ Hurrah, I got a huge pay rise today – but not sure if I am worth it’ 

‘Wow, I can't believe a national newspaper asked little old me to write a big story for it!'

"I can't believe it's three years since I graduated from Harvard"



Now, this got me thinking – why do we always feel the need to play down our achievements or feel guilty in bragging just a little? Personally, I am not ashamed to admit that I am one of life’s braggers. I love a little brag across my face book pages and don’t give two hoots if anyone thinks I am blowing my own trumpet. To be honest, it gives me heaps of pleasure to share a few  exciting achievements with the world – and yes, I do hope that some of my arch enemies or ex boyfriends may just stumble upon them.


I am known for shouting ‘ Lisa, you are absolutely amazing’ across the office after achieving something wonderful or standing in the mirror praising myself in my head several times a day. However, I am rather fortunate to have a great group of people around me that find it rather amusing and choose to share the delights of my accomplishments. They are happy for me!


So, why as humans, do we often find the show off so stomach churning? Why don’t we find it acceptable for people to be proud of what they are achieving in life? Is it because we are jealous or maybe, is it because deep down we know we could do more with our lives so we feel resentful? Why do we end up putting other people down just because they have taken steps and achieved something great?


One of my favourite quotations from Marianne Williamson is as follows:

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child of God. Your playing small does not serve the world. There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you. We are all meant to shine, as children do. We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. It's not just in some of us; it's in everyone. And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others.”


― Marianne Williamson, A Return to Love: Reflections on the Principles of a Course in Miracles




So are we really afraid of our own light? Get honest with yourself  - are you happy to play down your accomplishments in fear of judgement from other people or do you feel you have to ‘ keep yourself small’ in order not to upset your friends and family?


What if…..you praising yourself allowed other people to realise that they can do amazing things as well? What if you just allowed yourself to shine in the hope that other people will step up and shine with you?


So, why not try a little bit of self praise this week? Even if you don’t fancy shouting it from the roof tops, you could give yourself some self praise easily. Why not set yourself an action step to praise yourself at least 5 times today. Criticism breaks down our self esteem but praise builds it up.


In light of the above, please allow me shamelessly to boast about my radio achievements this week. So far, I have been so blessed to have the most amazing guests on my show including Beverly Engel and Sandy Forster. Beverly has been on Oprah! - and me, little old me got to interview her on the radio and it was truly amazing. Sorry, I just had to get the Oprah bit in. This weekend, I will be interviewing Dawn Breslin who is UK Life Coach who has shared the stage with some of the most influential people of our time such as Louise Hay, Debbie Ford, Dr. Wayne Dyer, Cheryl Richardson, and Doreen Virtue .


So why not join me in celebrating this and join me on my ‘Spiritual and Irritable’ radio show. You can listen to the archives at any time or listen live if you choose. Here is the link.


Also, if you want to keep up to date on the fabulous guests I have coming up ( Including Patricia Evans who has also been on Oprah!) make sure you join my radio show page at.http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Spiritual-and-Irritable/173285532765385



Thanks for letting me shamelessly share this with you


Lisa ‘ Spiritual and Irritable’
www.amazingcoaching.com.au

No comments:

Post a Comment