Listen to Lisa on her ' Spritual and Irritable' radio show!

Listen to internet radio with The Difference on Blog Talk Radio

Sunday, January 2, 2011

Those dreaded NY resolutions.....

The Bad News

I don't want wish to come across as a party pooper but apparently, over 95% of you will fail miserably to accomplish those New Year resolutions which you have proudly set yourself. No, it isn't because as a human race we are a bunch of weak willed jellyfish, it is more to due with the fact that the resolutions you set, are dead boring. Let's face it, do you really want to cut down on the fags or eat less chocolate? Ummm, I don't think so. You just feel you SHOULD do something to stop you feeling so bloody guilty.


The Good News
Rather than torturing ourselves with our NY resolutions, there is a far more effective goal setting process you can use. Now, stop groaning as soon as you here the world goal , my way is fun and will help you keep motivated ALL year. Not just on the first week in January. The key is to make your goal inspirational! If you do want to cut out the choccy, then make it worthwhile! Focus on how fabulous you will look and feel rather than torturing yourself with crispbread and lettuce.

Ready? Pick up a pen and make yourself comfortable.


Step 1 – Choose an area of your life that you would like to set a goal in. This could be anything from relationships, health, family, friendships, finances etc. Now spend 5 minutes writing down what makes you miserable when it comes to this area of your life.
Health Example: Overweight, lack of motivation to exercise, clothes too tight, insufficient time / energy to exercise, eating too much junk food, eating between meals, find it difficult to stick to your weight loss program.


Emotional Example – Worry what people think. Feel guilty. Lack of confidence. Just don’t feel happy with life.


Financial Example – In debt, lack of savings, waste too much money, don’t earn enough money.

Step 2 – Now write down how you REALLY would like things to be! Don’t hold back – Go for your perfect outcome! This is where you need to get creative and write down what you want to happen.


Health Example: Lose 10kg easily, feel motivated to exercise, find it easy to eat healthy meals, feeling great inside and out, look and feel fabulous and sexy.

Emotional Example: Feel confident, speak up for myself, happy in who I am, love and accept myself. Loving Life!


Financial Example: Save $100 per week, stick to my budget, pay rise of $$$ per month

Step 3 : Set a realistic date for when you want to achieve your goal.


Step 4 : Write a goal using positive language and make it sexy and exciting! Try to be as specific as you can. E.g. Include target weight and desired weight loss amount / amount you want to save etc.

Health Goal Example: It is June 1st 2011 and I am so happy now that I have achieved my target goal weight of 75kg. I found really easy to lose 10kg and I love the way I now look and feel. I have plenty of energy and time in my day to exercise and enjoy working out at least 3 times a week for a minimum of 40 minutes. I feel so confident and I love looking at myself in the mirror admiring my new body shape. I find it so easy to both cook and eat healthy meals. I look and feel fantastic!


Emotional Goal example: It is July 23rd 2011 and I feel so happy and light. My self esteem is growing every day and I feel very confident in all situations. I am assertive and honour my emotions. I love and accept myself and always take time to nurture and take care of myself. I never beat myself up but always speak kindly and lovingly to myself and others. I look forward to what every day brings.


Financial Goal: It is Nov 2011 and I find it easy to save over $100 per week. My salary is 150k per year and I love what I do. I have cleared all of my debt easily and feel so free and liberated. I love sticking to my budget and enjoy watching my savings grow. I give and receive money easily and my money works hard for me.


Step 4 - Visualise!


When you have written your goal, take time to visualise. Sit quietly and imagine how your life is now that you have achieved your goal. How do you look and feel? See yourself with a big happy smile on your face! See yourself look fabulous and happy now that you have achieved your goal. Make yourself the star in your own visualisation movie.

Step 5 – Read your goal every day - With a smile on your face!

Step 6 – Use positive thoughts.
Try repeating the following statements first thing in the morning or while you are working out. Repeated positive statement will help dispel any negative thoughts you have about yourself and will support the achievement of your goals ( honestly).

• I deserve to achieve my goal and I accept it now
• I find it easy to exercise three times a week
 I am my perfect weight
• I can do it!
• I am relaxed and stress free
• My self esteem is growing every day
• I am debt free
• I save money easily
• I love and approve of myself

Remember too that your goals will change as time goes on so make sure you adjust them on a regular basis.

Step 7 - TAKE ACTION!!!! Look at your goal and work out what steps you can take to achieve you goal. Set yourself mini targets of things you can achieve each week.

Health Example – Get gym membership, plan meals, only have healthy foods in house, Join fitness club / weight watchers, leave work early and exercise.


Emotional Example – Practise affirmations, do a course, read a self esteem book, meditate, do exercise, do one nice thing for self every day

Financial Example – Set up a savings account and direct debit, set self a budget, update resume, speak to manager about what you can do to obtain pay rise.

A little effort goes a long way so if you really want to make some changes in 2011, bin those resolutions and get into goal setting!  If you can't be bothered, that's fine, but don't go whinging about it!











































































No comments:

Post a Comment