Listen to Lisa on her ' Spritual and Irritable' radio show!

Listen to internet radio with The Difference on Blog Talk Radio

Sunday, June 6, 2010

The Dogs Dinner

Picture the scene. There I was, dressed up like a dogs dinner, warpaint on, standing in the corner of one of Sydney's more trendy nightspots feeling pretty damn good about myself when all of a sudden, Miss bloody Universe ( or she could have been) struts by leaving me feel like an ugly old troll who had been dragged through a hedge backwards.


All my good feelings about my appearance, hot new frock and killer heels disappeared down the plug hole and were replaced instantly by a yucky old 'friend' - that toxic and totally unhelpful INFERIOR feeling.


The truth is, that we are all liable to feel inferior to another person at some time. This can show up in the fact that we may feel like a fat old bird, dumb, not as attractive, rich, popular or ‘ less than’ another person or group of people . When we feel like this, we look at others in our lives as being ‘ better than us’ in some way.


Another down side of feeling inferior is that we often believe that people see us as being inferior too. In our own minds we end up convincing ourselves not only that we are inferior but we also end up believing that every other bugger who crosses our path is also looking down at us and giving us the ‘ not good enough' label.


When I first moved to Sydney, this feeling often used to creep up on me, restricting me from trying something new or taking a risk. I remember avoiding a really pretentious bar for years purely because I used to think ' ‘ I can’t go there, I won’t fit in’ or I was too worried that other people would judge me.


The truth of the matter is, there really is no point trying to be like somebody else! Of course there will be times in life when people may be smarter, prettier, thinner etc than us – but it does not mean that we are inferior to them or they are better than us. In actual fact, nobody is either inferior or superior to us. We are all unique snowflakes in this world, each of us with our own special looks and talents – so why keep yourself small by trying to be like someone else – you are wonderful just the way you are – warts and all!


There is no one who is better than us – nobody on this planet – we are just different. Putting ourselves down does not serve us nor does it serve the world! The universe does not believe in similarity. Each one of us has our own unique quality or feature.

Here are some hints and tips for letting go of feeling inferior:


1. Write a list of all your wonderful qualities. E.g. Are you friendly, loyal, generous, helpful…write them all down! The key is to get busy focus on your strengths, not your weaknesses!


2. Try this affirmation ‘ I am neither inferior or superior to anyone’ or ‘ I have many fabulous qualities’. Repeat this at least ten times a day.


3. The next time you find yourself feeling inferior to anyone – ask yourself ‘ Would you REALLY swap your life for this person’s life?’ Would you really want to let go of everything in your life to have what this person has?





No comments:

Post a Comment